Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Sometimes I Rhyme Slow

Dylan Clinton Joplin and Bjork. JFK MLK KLF NWA. IceT IceCube LL and Madonna. Snoop Tori Ani Bree. GWBI and GWBII. Oprah. Shakespeare. The Farrelly Brothers. And oh yes, Nice & Smooth.

Sometimes the insight, idiocity, and (non) relevancy of things I hear every day strikes me. It's so easy to tune it all out - especially from those people we all know who have nothing to say but say it anyway. Over. And over. And over. (One might argue that I am doing that very thing right here! What a hypocrit.)

Good news: the rhymes were ON at The Mirabeau Room's Tuesday night poetry slam. Despite the overwhelming sense that I was sitting in a giant salad bowl due to the stench of VINEGAR (I don't want to know what it was used to disenfect), I forgot how much I love the raw words and the timber and intonation of sound that comes out of the poets mouths in spoken word poetry.

I was picked to be a judge. Heckling was minimal, although I might have gotten a pissy stare at one point or another. (Discovery: I underestimated the power of the 0.0 to 10.0 scale. Plastic numbers stuck to a wooden paddle never felt so important. I felt like I was watching ice skating, not on TV but at the actual rink at the actual Olympics, and I was that pain-in-the-ass, hard to impress, poker-faced Russion judge sitting on the end of the row.)

Poets included pieces about:

1) The Wet Spot
2) The Taco Truck (No relation to The Wet Spot)
3) Rails of Crushed Hummingbird Wings (I didn't get it)
4) Hitler, Nationalist Fevor (Iraq), and German-American Guilt, Shame, and Perspective
5) Being Jewish At Jesus Camp. And Being Sent There By Mistake By Your Mom
6) "Not A Political Rant" About Our Absurd Government
7) If Sodomy Is Unnatural, Than So Is Organized Religion, Jerry Springer, Airplanes and Limos
8) The Dubious Sanitary Napkin Belt and The Evils of "...With Wings" Technology

and lastly but not leastly,

9) Ostrich Eggs...(Apparently they are symbolic of a whole lotta stuff I never thought of)


"If you want to quiche me, put your big ostrich egg in my mouth. PUT YOUR BIG OSTRICH EGG IN MY MOUTH."

(emphasis is the poet's, not mine)

I wish that I had a program booklet to credit the poets properly. They rocked. I will be going back next week.

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters