Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Play Hard, Play Hard

I have a proven track record for committing to athletic endeavors and then backing out. The Danskin Triathalon in Chicago. The Tri-Freak in Federal Way. Runs around Greenlake. Sometimes I even tell Luna I will take her for a walk, and then change my mind. Despicable, I know.

In an effort to quell the self-loathing that breeds in this kind of I Am Kidding Myself Repeatedly environment, I have decided to refocus my energies on a different kind of training regime: vacationing! I really need to up my frequency of vacation, the duration of vacation sessions, and I think I'd particularly like to hone the intensity with which I do nothing on vacation. (Hmm...how to handle tapering? Must discuss with Anna and/or trainer.)

Have I no self-discipline? Surely I can do this. I can do this! I have a formidable, if not unbeatable, opponent in this race. He is a better vacationer than perhaps anyone in this fair land. I have been inspired to make this major life change by none other than our POTUS.

According to the Boston Globe:

Bush Poised To Set Vacationing Record -
Visits to Crawford Outpacing Reagan

President Bush is getting the kind of break most Americans can only dream of -- 33 days away from the office, loaded with vacation time.

The president departed yesterday for his longest stretch away from the White House, arriving at his Crawford ranch in the evening for five weeks of clearing brush, visiting with family and friends, and tending to some outside-the-Beltway politics.
By historical standards, it is the longest presidential retreat in at least 36 years. The August getaway is Bush's 49th trip to his cherished ranch since taking office and the 319th day that Bush has spent, entirely or partially, in Crawford -- nearly 20 percent of his presidency to date.

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters