Thursday, July 21, 2005

Host Organism

Does it freak you out when a person tells you "We're trying."?

As in, "We're trying to get pregnant."

Cause it freaks me out. It's like they're saying, "We're having A LOT of sex these days. Like really frequent, institutional style, no candles no music no foreplay, straight-up evolutionary caveman SEX." And then, invariably, I visualize said person with mate, naked and doing IT. I don't mean too. It just happens. I am a visual person and the images are just right there in my head and ewwwww! Please please, I don't want to know that. More importantly, I don't want to picture it.

I have been around a lot of babies lately. Well, perhaps that is an exaggeration. I've been around ONE baby. Once. On Tuesday. For 2 hours. Jackie's little 9 month old girl Elsa - she is so cute. So cute. Being around her for those 120 minutes made me realize 2 things:

High Level Realization:
There really is some hormonal female thing that kicked in around her and her wide-eyed gaze, chubby cheeks, and powder fresh smelling hair that made my heart melt. Mother Nature is no fool.

Day-To-Day Level Realization:
I have no idea what I am doing around a baby. No clue. She cried, I panicked. I gave her back to Jackie and got myself another Dos Equis out of the fridge.

I have a new friend named Claire and the other day she said told me she was pregnant.

"Just so you know, I am only going to be getting fatter from this point forward."

"Oh yeah. I know. We are all skinniest in our 20's. We are all only going downhill at this point in life."

"No. I mean, I'm 3 months pregnant and will start to show soon..."

"Whoa. Congrats! Pregnancy is one big bad science experiment to me. Freaky and fascinating and really neat how it's like an alien inside you just like Sigourney Weaver in Aliens. Rad."

"I know. I am now a host organism. A host organism. I just never thought I'd be a host organism and now I am one."

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters